× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

Critique my ETF portfolio
This is my ETF portfolio. I'm interested to hear any thoughts on how you might tweak it and why...

SYGWD   15%
STXEMG   15%
STXIND 15%
SYGUS     14%
GLPROP   7%
SYGJP      7%
STXQUA    7%
ASHT40   7%
STXRAF   7%
ASHMID   6%

Why have SYGUS and SYGJP when you already have SYGWD? Ok, maybe more exposure to Japan is great but why more exposure to the US when SYGWD is about 60% US already?

STXIND, STXQUA, SHT40, STXRAF and ASHMID <- that's a lot of locally exposed ETFs. Why not collapse that into CTOP50 and ASHMID and you have the top 100 covered with a 10% cap on the big shares like Naspers?
IQ Test

...but if I had to make two changes to that portfolio I would:

1. drop STXRAF
2. drop STXUS

...and use those funds to pad SYGWD to 20% and use the remaining 11% to buy SYG4IR when come the 6th. BUT, not sure about your age so that is a factor.

No point in selling any of those duplicated ETFs either if your brokerage costs are high. Rather just leave them as is and just don't invest in them any further?
IQ Test

These are exactly the types of ideas I was hoping to get. Thanks for your useful thoughts!

I'm 46 years old.

I know it's a bit more expensive (TER), but take a look at NFEMOM (http://etfcib.absa.co.za/Products/Exchan...fault.aspx) I have been a very happy holder.

My SA exposure is NFEMOM and then I have SYGWD (dbxWD) and SYGJP (dbxJP), because somehow I still think it has potential.
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)

I will certainly look at NFEMOM too. Thanks!

If I collapsed the locals into 2 or 3 ETFs, what sort of balance between T40 and Midcap? 50/50?

I'm still reluctant to sell STXIND because it's done so well for me, and I like the idea of quality (STXQUA) rather than purely market cap.

But I have also had the feeling that RAFI and QUA are too similar, so I might well drop RAFI as Bandit suggested. And I also think converting US to WD makes sense.

I'm loving this thread - really helpful!!! Smile

I am not really qualified to tell you why or what you should buy, but my portfolio looks as follows:

SYGP ~10% (I read somewhere one must always try to keep a little bit of property in one's portfolio.)
SYGWD ~50% (It's 58% US stocks, 8.9% Japan stocks and 6.4% UK stocks) I feel that is a pretty good mix of offshore stocks/exposure.
NFEMOM ~30% (We had a thread about this ETF and it was mentioned in the PW e-book, I like the methodology it's different stocks over the long term without me having to do the work.)
DBCHIN ~10% (ETN, but I wanted exposure to China.)

I am always amazed at how you guys can keep track of the percentage split.

I have 3 ETFs I buy equal amounts each month and ignore the gains (never rebalance).

ETFs I own:

SYGWD 33.3333333333%
NFEMOM 33.3333333333%
STXEMG 33.3333333333%

(11-28-2017, 08:56 PM)Outlook Wrote: I am always amazed at how you guys can keep track of the percentage split.

I have 3 ETFs I buy equal amounts each month and ignore the gains (never rebalance).

ETFs I own:

SYGWD 33.3333333333%
NFEMOM 33.3333333333%
STXEMG 33.3333333333%

It's actually not that difficult and Bloomberg's Watchlist does it for you:

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 06.21.08.png   

That's for my TFSA. I've been concentrating on my unit trusts so kinda just been buying MSCI World the last while (well, stopped buying the DBX/Sygnia one and switched to Satrix's because of costs). I really need to rebalance it but waiting for middle December. Ideally, I want to move  some of the PTXTEN to GLPROP, combine the two MSCI ones and add the new SYG4IR (should it be available in the TFSA accounts)

BTW - I like that 33/33/33 split you've got. It's brave being that exposed to emerging markets but it could really pay off Smile
IQ Test

I only own 2 ETFs:

STXEMG  - 50 %
STXWDM - 50 %

See graph attached, emerging market index and the local market does not differ that much over time. If I should add a local one it will be NFEMOM.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: emerging_vs_sa_in_ZAR.png   

Wink 
So I took the advice on this thread to heart, bit the bullet and finally decided to do a major reshuffling of my over-diversified portfolio. During this week I reduced my number of ETFs to 7 and reduced my number of stocks to 10.  It's mentally hard to sell a stock or ETF even if you know it's the right thing to do.

I looked at NFEMOM but it's too close to my stocks profile, so my new profile looks like this:

ETFs  (45% of total investment)

Local:
STXIND   7.5%
STXQUA  7.5%
CTOP50   15%

Global:
STXEMG  15%
SYG4IR   15%
SYGWD   30%
GLPROP  10%

Stocks (40% of total investment)

CLS   10%   (Clicks)
CPI   10%   (Capitec)
DCP   10%   (Dis-Chem)
DSY   10%   (Discovery)
ELI   10%    (Ellies)
KIO   10%    (Kumba Iron Ore)
NPN   10%   (Naspers)
PPC   10%   (PPC Cement)
SRE   10%   (Sirius Real Estate)
SDO   10%   (Stadio)

Commodities (5% of total investment)

Paladium  100%  (Through SBAPD1)

Cryptocurrencies (10% of total investment)

Bitcoin          50%
Ethereum       50%

I'm very happy with my new portfolio and really hoping it does well...   :-)

(11-29-2017, 06:27 AM)Bandit Wrote: It's actually not that difficult and Bloomberg's Watchlist does it for you:

That's for my TFSA. I've been concentrating on my unit trusts so kinda just been buying MSCI World the last while (well, stopped buying the DBX/Sygnia one and switched to Satrix's because of costs). I really need to rebalance it but waiting for middle December. Ideally, I want to move  some of the PTXTEN to GLPROP, combine the two MSCI ones and add the new SYG4IR (should it be available in the TFSA accounts)

BTW - I like that 33/33/33 split you've got. It's brave being that exposed to emerging markets but it could really pay off Smile
Why do you have both SATRIX World and Sygnia World?

Stopped buying SYGWD and continued buying STXWDM when it was released instead (lower costs). Not worth the transaction costs to merge them....yet. I'm eyeing ASHGEQ.
IQ Test

I'm still selling some of my over-diversified stocks and will use the money to buy a "World" ETF, probably in the coming week. Would you buy STXWDM or ASHGEQ? And why?

If I had to start over I'd probably go with ASHGEQ because it is one ETF that covers almost everything including emerging markets. Combine that with MAPPSG and you have a complete portfolio.

Later on you supplement it with PTXTEN for property and other ETFs where you reckon you need more exposure, like STXEMG if you reckon the Ashburton one doesn't give you enough exposure.

That's what I would probably do.
IQ Test