Any Linux distro suggestions?
Busy resetting my laptop (windows 10). Want to make it dual boot and install a linux distro also. Any suggestions perhaps?

I am not a heavy gamer - will mostly use if for internet, programming, webdesign, etc.

Thanks!

Cool

I am such a slut for https://elementary.io/ it's beautiful.
Buy altcoins with bitcoins here Changelly

(07-20-2017, 11:05 AM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: I am such a slut for https://elementary.io/ it's beautiful.

Hmmm it is beautiful.... going to play with it and see how it works!

I've been through a couple:

Mint.... it's green and too windows like for me. Broke it.
Ubuntu Gnome.... buggy as hell. Broke itself.
Kubuntu... VERY pretty (better then that Elementary potato distro :p ). Broke it.
Xubuntu... was my favourite. Nice, lightwieght...and then I broke it

And after all of that I decided, hey, why not get a distro that is solid and won't cause me grieve:

Ubuntu

First thing you do after installation is get rid of all the pink and scale down the size of side bar. With every other Ubuntu derivative there was always something wrong and it never worked 100% like I wanted to. Ubuntu just worked.

You can also look into Fedora but if you're a regular end user, why bother?

Kubuntu. My gosh! This is gorgeous.

Ahhh man I love the minimalist look.
Forum Admin | Platinum Wealth
Tips
ETH 0x6c793ae7749acd19c8b4a77aa72d01cd0263f137 BTC 1GeXS8t5KtYvyMAf5hhwtdxM9Ba9EWQqMz

(07-20-2017, 02:48 PM)Platinum Wealth Wrote: Kubuntu. My gosh! This is gorgeous.

Ahhh man I love the minimalist look.

It's "heavy" though so I wouldn't suggest using it on an underpowered laptop/machine.

(07-20-2017, 03:15 PM)Hamster Wrote: It's "heavy" though so I wouldn't suggest using it on an underpowered laptop/machine.

In that case, Lubuntu is pretty light, but also ugly.
Forum Admin | Platinum Wealth
Tips
ETH 0x6c793ae7749acd19c8b4a77aa72d01cd0263f137 BTC 1GeXS8t5KtYvyMAf5hhwtdxM9Ba9EWQqMz

(07-20-2017, 02:42 PM)Hamster Wrote: I've been through a couple:

Mint.... it's green and too windows like for me. Broke it.
Ubuntu Gnome.... buggy as hell. Broke itself.
Kubuntu... VERY pretty (better then that Elementary potato distro :p ). Broke it.
Xubuntu... was my favourite. Nice, lightwieght...and then I broke it

And after all of that I decided, hey, why not get a distro that is solid and won't cause me grieve:

Ubuntu

First thing you do after installation is get rid of all the pink and scale down the size of side bar. With every other Ubuntu derivative there was always something wrong and it never worked 100% like I wanted to. Ubuntu just worked.

You can also look into Fedora but if you're a regular end user, why bother?

Thanks.

I tried Ubuntu many many years ago....was not impressed. Might give them a go again. Remebered struggling with dial up internet and drivers at that time.

I also always break it and then don't bother further to try and fix it.

Busy downloading Fedora on a stick to try out, really going slow.

Will also try CentOS tonight, bootable from DVD ISO.

CentOS is more for servers than your regular end user machine.

Fedora is great (better than Ubuntu, depending on who you ask) but it feels like you have better support and a bigger community behind Ubuntu.

Either way, it's better than Windows